Hyannis Port was the town that came to be synonymous with the Kennedy family. In the spring of 1926, Patriarch Joe Kennedy first rented what was known as the Malcolm beach “cottage.” The house had been built shortly after the turn of the century. The family would rent the house for three years before Joe Kennedy purchased the house likely for a price of around $25,000.
After the Kennedy purchase, remodeling and renovations began immediately. L. Frank Paine, the original architect who had constructed the house in 1903 was hired to double the house size, which eventually resulted in fourteen rooms, nine baths, and a private, motion picture theatre in the basement.
, the Kennedy family money was used to purchase the surrounding houses for Joe’s children.
[454, p. 21]